The publications listed below have been produced by the National Center for Case Study Teaching in Science.
Science Stories: Using Case Studies to Teach Critical Thinking, edited by Clyde Freeman Herreid, Nancy A. Schiller, and Ky F. Herreid, NSTA Press, 2012.
- A compilation of case studies with questions and teaching notes that can be used to help develop STEM students' critical thinking skills. The book is available for purchase through NSTA or from Amazon.
Start with a Story: The Case Study Method of Teaching College Science, edited by Clyde Freeman Herreid, Copyright 2013 by the National Center for Case Study Teaching in Science (NCCSTS). Originally published in 2007 by the National Science Teachers Association (NSTA).
- Start with a Story is a collection of 40+ essays, many originally published in the Journal of College Science Teaching, that examine every aspect of the case study method. Included are numerous examples of case studies as well as strategies, tips, examples, ideas, and resources for applying the case method to the science classroom.
- This book is available for purchase directly from the National Center for Case Study Teaching in Science. Please contact us at 716-645-4900 or email@example.com to purchase the book.
- Bibliography on Case Study Teaching in Science compiled by Nancy A. Schiller and Clyde Freeman Herreid.
Selected Articles by Clyde F. Herreid
- Case Studies in Science: A Novel Method of Science Education
- What is a Case? Bringing to Science Education the Established Teaching Tool of Law and Medicine
- My Favorite Case and What Makes It So
- What Makes a Good Case? Some Basic Rules of Good Storytelling Help Teachers Generate Student Excitement in the Classroom
- Sorting Potatoes for Miss Bonner: Bringing Order to Case Study Methodology Through a Classification Scheme
- Can Case Studies Be Used to Teach Critical Thinking?
- Cooking With Betty Crocker: A Recipe for Case Writing
- The Way of Flesch: The Art of Writing Readable Cases
- Twixt Fact and Fiction: A Case Writer's Dilemma
- And All That Jazz: An Essay Extolling the Virtues of Writing Case Teaching Notes
Teaching with Cases
- Don't! What Not to Do When Teaching Cases
- Return to Mars: How Not to Teach a Case Study
- The Interrupted Case Method
- Intimate Debate Technique
- "Clicker" Cases: Introducing Case Study Teaching into Large Classrooms
- Structured Controversy: A Case Study Strategy
- Trigger Cases Versus Capstone Cases
- The Boy Scouts Said Its Best: Some Advice on Case Study Teaching and Student Preparation
- Naming Names
Cases and Cooperative Learning
- The Bee and the Groundhog: Lessons in Cooperative Learning
- I Never Knew Joe Paterno: An Essay on Teamwork and Love
- The Wisdom of Groups
Grading Case Work