The publications listed below have been produced by the National Center for Case Study Teaching in Science.
Science Stories You Can Count On: 51 Case Studies with Quantitative Reasoning in Biology, edited by Clyde Freeman Herreid, Nancy A. Schiller, and Ky F. Herreid, NSTA Press, 2014.
- Includes case studies as well as tips and techniques for promoting quantitative reasoning in biology.
- The book is available for purchase through NSTA.
Science Stories: Using Case Studies to Teach Critical Thinking, edited by Clyde Freeman Herreid, Nancy A. Schiller, and Ky F. Herreid, NSTA Press, 2012.
- A compilation of case studies with questions and teaching notes that can be used to help develop STEM students' critical thinking skills.
- The book is available for purchase through NSTA or from Amazon.
Start with a Story: The Case Study Method of Teaching College Science, edited by Clyde Freeman Herreid, . Originally published in 2006 by the National Science Teachers Association (Nsta); reprinted by the National Center for Case Study Teaching in Science (NCCSTS) in 2013.
- Start with a Story is a collection of 40+ essays that examine every aspect of the case study method. Included are numerous examples of case studies as well as strategies, tips, examples, ideas, and resources for applying the case method to the science classroom.
- The NCCSTS has acquired the copyright for this work in print and is now reprinting this edition. You can order a print copy using our online form.
- Please note: The order form above is for the print book. We do not hold the copyright for the electronic version; to purchase the e-book version of the book, go to the NSTA Press website.
The NCCSTS has produced two training videos on the case method and its use in science education. These videotapes are available for purchase. For more information, including how to order them, see our training videos web pages.
- Bibliography on Case Study Teaching in Science compiled by Nancy A. Schiller and Clyde Freeman Herreid.
Selected Articles by Clyde F. Herreid and other staff members of the NCCSTS
- Case Studies in Science: A Novel Method of Science Education
- What is a Case? Bringing to Science Education the Established Teaching Tool of Law and Medicine
- My Favorite Case and What Makes It So
- What Makes a Good Case? Some Basic Rules of Good Storytelling Help Teachers Generate Student Excitement in the Classroom
- Sorting Potatoes for Miss Bonner: Bringing Order to Case Study Methodology Through a Classification Scheme
- Can Case Studies Be Used to Teach Critical Thinking?
- A Peek Behind the Curtain of Tenure and Promotion
- Cooking With Betty Crocker: A Recipe for Case Writing
- The Way of Flesch: The Art of Writing Readable Cases
- Twixt Fact and Fiction: A Case Writer's Dilemma
- And All That Jazz: An Essay Extolling the Virtues of Writing Case Teaching Notes
Teaching with Cases
- Don't! What Not to Do When Teaching Cases
- Return to Mars: How Not to Teach a Case Study
- The Interrupted Case Method
- Case Studies and the Flipped Classroom
- A Chat with the Survey Monkey: Case Studies and the Flipped Classroom
- Intimate Debate Technique
- "Clicker" Cases: Introducing Case Study Teaching into Large Classrooms
- Structured Controversy: A Case Study Strategy
- Trigger Cases Versus Capstone Cases
- The Boy Scouts Said Its Best: Some Advice on Case Study Teaching and Student Preparation
- Naming Names
- Science, Pseudoscience, and Nonsense
Cases and Cooperative Learning
- The Bee and the Groundhog: Lessons in Cooperative Learning
- I Never Knew Joe Paterno: An Essay on Teamwork and Love
- The Wisdom of Groups
Grading Case Work