Can Alternative/Complementary Medicine Make a Difference?
This case encourages students to explore various aspects of alternative and complementary medicine that might be helpful in treating a woman who is suffering from scoliosis. The case was developed for use in a variety of settings, ranging from an introductory anatomy and physiology course to a general health class where there is an interest in alternative/complementary medicine.
- To reinforce spinal anatomy.
- To establish the significance of normal spinal curvature.
- To explore complications due to abnormal curvature.
- To establish the relationship between vertebrae, nerve, and organ function.
- To reinforce the changing nature of bone due to age, physical and gravitational forces, and lifestyle.
- To reinforce basic concepts of immunity and inflammation.
- To introduce mind/body connection.
- To encourage a deeper understanding of alternative/complementary medicine, both its strengths and weaknesses.
- To encourage techniques in exploring and critically evaluating one's own choices in health care.
KeywordsSpinal cord; spine; spinal curvature; scoliosis; inflammation; immunity; alternative medicine; complementary medicine; yoga
Educational LevelUndergraduate lower division
Type / MethodsDilemma/Decision
Subject HeadingsAnatomy | Biology (General) | Medicine (General) |